Artists

Home > Artists > Carlo Ciussi

Works

Carlo Ciussi
Senza titolo
oil n canvas
cm 170x120
2005
Carlo Ciussi
Senza titolo
oil on canvas
cm 76x33
2005
Carlo Ciussi
Senza titolo
oil on canvas
cm 170x110
2003

Carlo Ciussi

Carlo Ciussi was born in Udine in 1930. Between 1945 and 1949 he attended Art School in Venice where he studied with De Luigi and Maioli.
In 1948 he visited the Biennial of Venice at which he was impressed by the novelty of the works included. In 1952 he participated in the International Biennial of Young Artists in Gorizia, while in 1953 he had his first solo show at Barberini's Palace in Rome. In 1954 he took part in the painting competition of the city of Pordenone, and in 1955 he exhibited at the VII Quadriennale d'Arte Contemporanea Italiana at the Palazzo delle Esposizioni in Rome. Between 1957 and 1959 he held exhibitions at: the Caffè Formentini in Monfalcone, the Galleria Girasole in Udine (1958 and 1959), and the Galleria Il Camino in Pordenone. During the 1950s Carlo Ciussi worked in his father's typography studio and meanwhile allowed the influences of the artists of Venice to reach maturity. Ciussi's first artistic experiments were matrix cubist and expressionist. In 1960 some still lives demonstrated a turning point in his work, gradually he passed from figuration to abstractionism.
In the early 1970s he frequently visited Giuseppe Marchiori, a critic, and Afro. He was influenced by Afro's painting. At the end of the informal season, Carlo Ciussi had already developed a language that led him to personally interpret painting.
During this period he held personal exhibitions of paintings and drawings and also he participated in some competitions, culminating with the 1963 Award Marche which he was awarded.
In 1964 he exhibited at the Venice Biennial XXXII, invited by Afro who was a member of the Subcommittee on the Figurative Arts of the Biennial. He exhibited with Mario Nigro (who was at the same time invited by Lucio Fontana) in a personal room in which the two artists each exhibited five works. During April-May 1965 Carlo Ciussi showed in Milan with a solo show at the Galleria Stendhal, beginning a good collaboration.
At the same time he opened a studio in piazza S. Alessandro, and in the same year he exhibited at the Biennial of San Marino, the Premi Trento, and the Silvestro Lega of Modigliana where he won a prize. Again in 1966 he had a personal exhibition at the Galleria Stendhal, along with other personal exhibition in different spaces: Galleria Il Cammino in Pordenone, Galleria L'Arco Gallery in Macerata, Proposte Feltrinelli Center in Florence.
In 1967 he exhibited for the fist time at the Galerie Paul Facchetti in Paris. The show was accompanied by a catalogue by Seuphor and Marchiori. He competed for the Premio Marche, went to the IX Bienal de São Paulo, and was awarded at the National Biennial of Painting and Sculpture of Bolzano. In 1968 he had personal shows at the Galleria Stendhal and the Galleria del Cavallino in Venice, with a catalogue presented by Giulio Carlo Argan. He also took part in the XXIII Salon des Réalités Nouvelles in Paris, the I Biennale degli Artisti of the Friuli Region, and the XIII Premio Spoleto.
In 1977 he had a double personal show at the Galleria Plurima and the Galleria Girasole in Udine, with a presentation by Tito Mamacco. His anthological exhibition at the Padiglione d'Arte Contemporanea di Palazzo Massari in Ferrara took place that same year. In 1980, he had a personal exhibition at Lorenzelli Arte, Milan, showing works from 1975 to 1979. In addition, he had two other solo shows, one at the Studio la Città of Verona and one together with Igino Legnaghi at the Galleria Torbandena in Trieste. He took part in the Premio Biella for carving and in other group and themed exhibitions in Friuli. In 1982 he held another two solo exhibitions, one at the Galleria Plurima in Udine and the other at the Antra Studio of Milan, which also exhibited his work at the Basel Art Fair. The same year, Ciussi completed a large sculpture in inox steel in Gibellina measuring around two and a half meters.
Between 1983 and 1985 Carlo Ciussi took part in various group and theme exhibitions, and he also held solo exhibitions. In January of 1986 he inaugurated a new personal exhibition at the Galleria Plurima, and took part in the XLII Biennial of Venice. He displayed the sculpture in iron II. Also during 1986 he made another iron sculpture, measuring four meters high, that was then installed in the garden in front of the Manifattura Goriziana. At the end of the 1980s he held more personal and group exhibitions in various galleries of Udine and at the Galleria Fioretto of Padua. In 1989 he completed another work on the wall for the Banca Rurale e Artigiana of Azzano Decimo.
In 1990, his exhibitions included a solo show at the Museo Civico d'Arte Contemporanea of Gibellina, while in January-February of 1991 he had another solo show at Lorenzelli Arte, Milan, displaying seventeen large oil paintings. Then, the Galleria Plurima held a retrospective with pieces chosen from 1964 to 1991. During the 1990s various personal and group exhibitions were held in Udine and other cities of the Friuli region. In 1996, in the meeting room of the Stabilimento Fantoni of Osoppo, Ciussi painted the oval ceiling. Abroad, the work of Ciussi has been exhibited in important international fairs such as those in Cologne, Basel, Frankfurt. In 1997 he had a solo show at Lorenzelli Arte entitled “Armonico Percorso”, exhibiting twenty paintings dating from 1996, and he also participated in the large anthological exhibition “Gefühle Der Konstruktion. Künstler in Italien seit 1945” held at the Museum Rabalderhaus in Schwaz. In 1998 he held a personal show at the Esslinger Kunstvereins in Esslingen: “Carlo Ciussi: verso la geometria”, while in 1999 he had another solo show at the Ado Furlan foundation of Pordenone and took part in numerous collective and anthological shows organized in Italy.
The most recent exhibition of Ciussi held by Lorenzelli Arte took place in 2005, specifically from September 15th until October 15th, held at the same time at the Galleria A arte Studio Invernizzi, Milan, and at the Palazzo Isimbardi, Milan, where he installed a large iron sculpture at the entrance.

Carlo Ciussi passed away on 24 April 2012 at the age of 82.